Okay, people, moving on! One behavior change down (work out consistently!) and many to go! For those of you who are new here, I have embarked on my own public change journey regarding behavior change. I made a list off singular behaviors that I would like to change about myself and am tackling them one by one.
Here’s what’s left from my original list:
- Drink more water
- Go to bed earlier
- Cut out sugar
- Meditate daily
- Go on weekly “Artist Dates”
- Write daily
- Be on time
- Be more organized
- Put myself first once daily
So, in doing this exercise, I need to go with what I know: the thing that I most fear is probably the thing most worth doing. When I look at this list, “write daily” scares the bejeezus out of me. Not because it’s necessarily hard to do, in and of itself, but because I know it takes a commitment to myself and my own development that I have not done in a very long time.
If you said that “writing every day” meant ANY kind of writing, I would not fret. I write a LOT – I am posting, blogging, emailing, developing, etc. But THIS writing is different. This is reflection. This is journaling. This has no audience. This is only for me. And that’s what scares me.
So something just for ME? Working out has set the tone – taking care of me is important in this equation of what I can give to the world. But working out still had an “external” flare to it – going to the gym, being part of a group…felt like we were all in it together.
For this one I am on my own. So what do I need to do to make it happen? Again, knowing what I know about myself:
- Set a concrete, stretch but realistic goal: I will write in my journal at least 5x/week
- Go public: I will let you all know if I did my writing – how shall I do that without being annoying? Who wants to know?
- Plan for it: I will write between 6:30-7:00 each day, whether or not the kids are up.
- Get support: Does anyone want to have a writing date with me? That might help me with #2 – going public
- Ship it out! I will start tomorrow!!!
Okay guys – looks like i need to find a new journal to fill. Any thoughts from all of you as to how to support my goal of writing daily is much appreciated!